Asparagus with Poached Egg
Asparagus + Fresh Poached Eggs = Springtime!
Being one of the first vegetables to be harvested in spring, asparagus is not only delicious but is full of health benefits. Asparagus is one of the top 20 nutrient dense foods based on caloric content. It is loaded with vitamins A, C, E, K and Chromium, which enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose into cells. Asparagus is also high in fiber, which helps maintain a healthy digestive tract by helping the body to rid itself of toxins.
This versatile, easy and crowd-pleasing recipe combines the best of what spring has to offer and creates a beautiful, healthy and delicious first course or side dish. It can easily be multiplied for a dinner party.
- 1 bunch fresh (preferably organic) asparagus (note if you buy in advance, stand upright in cup with an inch of water and store in the fridge)
- 1 organic farm fresh egg per person
- Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil
- Himalayan or other high quality freshly ground sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Thin slices of organic uncured (nitrate free) prosciutto, fatty sides removed
- Freshly shaved or micro-planed parmesan cheese
- Prepare the asparagus, wash, and snap off ends by gently bending and pressing on each side until it naturally snaps
- Lightly coat asparagus with Olive Oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Bring Grill or or stove top Griddle pan to med-high heat
- Place enough water in saute pan to reach your poaching tray (if using) or 2 inches if poaching directly in water
- Bring water to a boil
- Roll asparagus out onto grill or griddle, turn frequently with tongs until they begin to brown. Take care not to overcook.
- Reduce heat in saute pan, gently crack eggs into poaching tray or directly into boiling water
- Remove Asparagus from pan and place on serving platter
- Drizzle with lemon juice
- Poach eggs to desired doneness, whites should be set, yolks still loose
- Carefully transfer eggs and arrange on top of asparagus
- Garnish with Proscuitto if using
- Top lightly with parmesan
- Check for seasoning and add more salt/pepper to taste